Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Sit, smile and cry . . . .

 23For I received from the Lord that which I also delivered to you, that the Lord Jesus in the night in which He was betrayed took bread;24and when He had given thanks, He broke it and said, “This is My body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of Me.”25In the same way He took the cup also after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in My blood; do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of Me.”26For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until He comes.
1 Corinthians 11:23-26

Whenever I read or hear these words I find myself immediately transported back to being a kid and watching my dad, then Pastor, of Quiocassin Baptist Church in Richmond, Virginia administering communion to all the deacons lined up up front.  See these are the words read at almost every communion service, and when I hear them I also hear the songs being played . . . "Let us break bread together on our knees," . . ."The blood that Jesus shed for me, way back on calvary."  When this happens, I am immediately transported back to what for me was and still remains one of the most wonderful, awesome feelings of worship. .

See,  I guess in the communion service I really feel close to God.  In remembering his brokenness for me I am reminded of mine before him.  Meeting me in His broken state He sees me in mine.  He bearing my sin in front of me.  Me knowing He didn't have to.

In remembrance of Him, of the Christ.  In remembrance of Him.  

In remembrance of the sacrifice of His body for me.  In remembrance of the call to the sacrifice of my own for Him.  In remembrance of the shedding of His blood for my sins.  In remembrance of the giving of my own life in obedience to Him.  

Strange at these times I do not ponder on the beatings that He took, or the gruesome spectical it must have been.  I donot find myself smiling thinking back on that scene.  Instead I find myself thinking of all that I have been blessed with because of it.  I guess it is like when you win a race, or accomplish a task which was very painful to reach.  It is not the pain that brings the smile to your face it is the victory won through and because of it.  It is what was gained, that brings joy to you. 

I guess that is how I feel, when transported back to that moment.  It is the comfort in knowing that I am His.  The comfort in knowing that I am so loved.  That God would so care about me, just as I was and am, to take such pain for me to transport me to victory, from my sorry state of self.

I am overwhelmed with emotion and simply just want to sit, smile and cry. 

"He is no fool, who gives up what he can not keep, to gain what he can not loose."  

Jesus was not a fool and neither am I.  I am willing to give up what I can not keep, which indeed was not my own to begin with, my life, to gain what I can not loose - true life, eternal life. Jesus said that He came that we might have abundant life.  Interesting thing is that it is a present abundance.  I smile at the words read so often in communion not because of simply the sacrifice but the victory which is mine in fellowship with Him --  that no one can take and I can not loose.  I give up me to gain me PLUS!  

Excuse me, but for a moment I need to simply sit, smile and cry.  

Don't have much more to say.  I hope you get it . . .

Got Word?

Love yah,

No comments:

Post a Comment