Friday, January 4, 2013

Don't you care that I am drowning? Yes, get a pillow

"As evening came, Jesus said to his disciples, "Let's cross to the other side of the lake." So they took Jesus in the boat and started out, leaving the crowds behind (although other boats followed).

But soon a fierce storm came up. High waves were breaking into the boat, and it began to fill with water.Jesus was sleeping at the back of the boat with his head on a cushion. The disciples woke him up, shouting, "Teacher, don't you care that we're going to drown?"  Mark 4:35-38

I can relate to the disciples.  I can REALLY  relate.  Can you?

We like to think that when we walk with Christ all is going to go well. We go along the road singing, "have a little talk with Jesus.  Tell Him all about your problems.  He will hear your cry, and He will answer bye and bye . . . "

Screeeeeecccccchhhh!!!!!  Answer bye and bye????!!!!

I understand the disciples very well. Like them, I am with the Lord.  Golly, shazam . . (as Gomer Pyle would say) . . . He is in the boat with me.  Indeed, look carefully at the passage . . . He is not only in the boat with me but He is the REASON I am in the boat at all.  It is because of Him that I am out on this sea!  It is because of Him I am not all cozy before a fire, under a tent, feet all warm and toasty, thinking about the next great blessing He is going to put on me.  It is because of Him I am in the midst of this storm.  

God what do you think you are doing!  We could have waited till morning!  We could have waited till the storm passed . . . man you are . . . you ARE GOD!  You knew this was going to happen!  Man, you didn't have to treat me like that!  This just ain't right! I am YOUR disciple, YOUR child.  I am following you!  And if you didn't notice Christ, there are others following me!  Look around . . . Look back behind us . . . See all those other ships . . . see all those other people who are following us?  They are trusting too that you know what you doing . . . hey . . that I truly am following YOU!  Man, now I have put them too in danger!  And man, they don't even have you in the boat to complain to!!

What exactly were you thinking "son of man."?  I am not God like you.  I know you are flesh and blood and all that, but you,  . . . you can walk on water . . . I ain't seen anyone else do that (except for Peter and you know he lost it pretty quickly when he took his eyes off of you).  Anyway, I am no Peter! 

And you . . . you . . . you are ASLEEP! All comfy like  . . . on a PILLOW!  Do you not care that me, and all those others are about to be sleeping with the fishes!! All because YOU said cross over this sea?!

Yeah, I understand the disciples. 

And He understands me.  He understands my frustration.  He understands my fear.  He understands my concern, . . even with Him.  And yet, . . . He doesn't knock me in the head, or beat me up when I bug Him about all of me. 

"When Jesus woke up, he rebuked the wind and said to the waves, "Silence! Be still!" Suddenly the wind stopped, and there was a great calm. Then he asked them, "Why are you afraid? Do you still have no faith?"  Mark 4:39-40

He speaks to the cause of the storm . . . the wind.  He wakes up with all authority in His hand.  He speaks a word and opens doors I did not know existed.  He speaks to the storm. He deals with the cause of my fears.  He acts.

Then He speaks to me.

Not in anger.  Not in despair.  Instead He reminds me where my confidence should lie -- In Him.

See He told me to go across.  He is in the boat with me.  He knows my limitations.  He knows my frailty.  He knows me . . . and why did He lead me into this storm, because He wants me to know Him.  To TRULY know Him in the place where my fears reside.  So that I may truly trust Him.

I can see the disciples, probably bailing out the water!  I can see them fighting with the sails!  I can see them screaming out to God!  Crying in the stern of the boat!  I can see them Crying out to God.

And Jesus sleeps.

"Why are you afraid? Do you still have no faith?" 

With all that God has done for you and I, do we still have no faith?

Perhaps it is time for us to take a chill pill.  Or better yet, pick up our own pillow!  Perhaps we need to simply do what He has told us to do and relax . . . relax . . . relax . . . rest in knowing that He called us to this and He will complete what He has begun.

See we will get to the other side . . . Because Jesus told us to go, to do, to set sail out over that sea . . . Because Jesus is asleep in the boat with us.

"bye and bye  . . .bye and bye He speaks . . .

Excuse me, I think I gotta go and get to work . . . I gotta go now and get my pillow. 

Thank you Lord for the faith that grows in me through the storm.

You got a pillow?

Got Word?

Love yah,





No comments:

Post a Comment