Monday, January 7, 2013

He wants me to respect Him . . . Right? . . . WRONG.

46 “Why do you call me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ and do not do what I say? 47 As for everyone who comes to me and hears my words and puts them into practice, I will show you what they are like. 48 They are like a man building a house, who dug down deep and laid the foundation on rock. When a flood came, the torrent struck that house but could not shake it, because it was well built. 49 But the one who hears my words and does not put them into practice is like a man who built a house on the ground without a foundation. The moment the torrent struck that house, it collapsed and its destruction was complete.”  Luke 6:46 - 49

This is one of those passages that seem to be so clear, and yet, I still seem not to understand it.

Well, . . . that is what I would like to say. I would like to act like I do not understand it and what it means as to my relationship with Him.

See I would like to say that I am truly His child.  I would like to say that He is truly my Lord.  That I follow Him.  That I love Him.  But then, I find myself more like the one who hears his words and does not put them into practice.  

But I do "respect" you Lord.  Isn't that sufficient?

Yeah -- "Respect."  This is what I would like to do . . . "respect him."  

We throw that word all around.  We "respect" each other's opinion.  We acknowledge it is theirs.  We even are so magnanimous that we give everyone the freedom to have one.  And so I "respect" Him.  I acknowledge this is what He thinks, I understand that He has a right to think this.  

The problem with respect is that it does not require that I agree with Him -- agree that He is right.  With respect there is no requirement for me to change my position on a matter to match His.  I do not have to follow Him with respect.  Indeed, to respect one does not equal obeying them, doing what they say.  

If He is my Lord though, I must do what He says.  And in doing what He says, I can count on the fact that I am building a sure foundation.

Interesting that Luke would talk about it as the building of a foundation, and that being on a rock.  To build such a foundation requires excavation.  It requires that we get out the dirt and attach ourselves to the rock. We must dig deeper than the surface. I must not just read the word, I need to study it "to show myself approved by God, a student who is no reason to be ashamed."  With all wisdom, he says to be sure to get understanding.

My opinion, I may respect, His though I must obey.  To obey it, I must know it.  To know it I must seek it out.  In finding it I must study it, and then I need to do it.

This requires that I am willing to recognize that my opinion may just "suck" in relation to His.  And quite frankly I should "respect" the fact that mine is indeed crap if it doesn't match His, and His,  . . . well His is pure gold, a solid rock worth building on.  If I truly "respect" mine for what it is, then, I should have no problem throwing it to the side, discarding it.

"Respectfully" of course. LOL

See God requires my obedience and rewards it with the ability to weather the storms of life.

I love driving my wife's car at night versus mine, in the mountains, because it has a moon roof.  I can look up while driving and do as the scripture says,  "I will lift up my eyes to the mountains:  From where shall my help come?  My help comes from the Lord, Who made heaven and earth."  Psalm 121: 1-2

I want to withstand the storms of life.  So I will find His word, study it, and do it.  I will build my life on the foundation of obedience to His word.  Simple.  I will make Him Lord. I will obey Him, not just "respect" His opinion.  I will show I love Him by doing what He says.  I will dig deep to the rock.

Got it?

Got Word?

Love yah,










No comments:

Post a Comment