Tuesday, January 29, 2013

It's just not that hard . . .

So Naaman went with his horses and chariots and stopped at the door of Elisha’s house.
10 Elisha sent a messenger to say to him, “Go, wash yourself seven times in the Jordan, and your flesh will be restored and you will be cleansed.”11 But Naaman went away angry and said, “I thought that he would surely come out to me and stand and call on the name of the Lord his God, wave his hand over the spot and cure me of my leprosy. 12 Are not Abana and Pharpar, the rivers of Damascus, better than all the waters of Israel? Couldn’t I wash in them and be cleansed?” So he turned and went off in a rage.
13 Naaman’s servants went to him and said, “My father, if the prophet had told you to do some great thing, would you not have done it? How much more, then, when he tells you, ‘Wash and be cleansed’!” 14 So he went down and dipped himself in the Jordan seven times, as the man of God had told him, and his flesh was restored and became clean like that of a young boy.
2 Kings 5:11-14
I have always related to Naaman on at least two levels:  1) his disease; and, 2) how he attempted to overcome its effects in his life.  Let’s start with his disease. He had leprosy.
In that time, if you were a leper you lived outside of the gate and away from everyone.  Indeed, in Jerusalem you lived in the city dump.  You were an outcast.  Even your own did not want to be around you.  You could touch only those who were like yourself.  You had to go around crying out loud “Leper! Leper! Leper!” all just to warn people to stay away. 
One of my major issues in my life has been that I like Naaman lived a large portion of my life feeling like I was outside of acceptance by most everyone. Even when I felt like I was leading people, I still felt apart from them.  I still felt terribly defective.  And for those who did not seem to notice, I wondered how long it would be that they would notice my defects and kick me out of their lives.  I lived in fear of being exposed.  Much like Naaman  I survived by coming up with a way to compensate for my defects.
If you go back to the top of the chapter you will read the following about Naaman:
 Now Naaman was commander of the army of the king of Aram. He was a great man in the sight of his master and highly regarded, because through him the Lord had given victory to Aram. He was a valiant soldier, but he had leprosy.”   2 Kings 5:1
Naaman worked hard to be highly regarded by people.  With leprosy and all its stigma he still managed to be a valiant soldier.  He had found value in winning on the battle field for his king.  He overcame being shunned and set apart by victory over others.  However, whether he realized it or not, it clearly states that his victories were because of the Lord.    
I can relate.  I did likewise.  I overcame my loneliness and isolation by becoming successful in whatever I would take on.   See I want to win; and win I do.   I have taken on challenges which no one else will.  I take on the impossible and make it happen.  I am that valiant soldier! I bring home the prize!  I get the cheers.  I get the praise.  And like Naaman whether I realize it or not my victories have been allowed by Him, just like yours are. 
Naaman had a simple solution to his problem, but he wanted to have a hand in making it happen.  He wanted to get some of the glory.  But that was not to be, for the solution was not in any great act he had to do.  It was simple:
Follow directions in the word given him.  And when he did, he was made whole.
We have the word given to us too.  It’s called the Bible.  And all we have to do is read it and follow its instructions.  I would encourage you to open it.  I don’t know what your major issue may be but you might want to start reading in Proverbs and Psalms.  Proverbs will give you some wisdom as to how to deal with yourself and your “fellow man” (or everybody else, LOL).  Psalms will help you in your relationship with God.  Add to your reading the gospel of Luke and start getting an understanding of the love Christ has for us.  In reading them I came to peace with myself.  With respect to my big issue, well, I began to feel accepted by living the wisdom I was reading.  I can’t explain more right now, however, I do know if you do it you will find the answers to many of your questions and issues. 
If you need help getting started just look back to the Proverbs posts in this blog.  They might help.
You may want to think that it is a very complicated path, but it isn’t.  Just read, receive, believe and live.  It works.
Got Word?
Love yah,

No comments:

Post a Comment