Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Plan your winter vacation . . . .

"Go to the ant, O sluggard, Observe her ways and be wise,
Which, having no chief, Officer or ruler,
Prepares her food in the summer And gathers her provision in the harvest."

Proverbs 6: 6-8


One of the hardest things to do is to think of the winter in the summer.  when the sun is bright and there seems not to be a care in the world!  Indeed, summer is thought to be the time for vacations, goofing around.  It comes right after spring, where we spend our time daydreaming and looking forward to summer.

How cruel of the writer to call us sluggards if we do what comes natural when it comes natural. . . if we play in spring and summer instead of gathering food for the winter. 

But it really isn't cruel at all.  Is it?

I know a man who seems to me to always be working.  He does not have a big prestigious job.  Nor does he order a lot of people around. In fact the only person that he seems to order around all the time is himself! 
 

He orders himself to get up and go to work.  He orders himself to pick up part-time jobs all over.  He orders himself to rise before the sun, to work between jobs, to not sleep when others, and rarely to take any extended vacations.  Many come to him to borrow funds, for help and for encouragement.  He gives of his time to the community and seems to know everyone and how best to help them.  I have never seen him without, even when because of his health, he had to step away from all of his industry.  

He is my encouragement . . . he is the "ant" I consider, when I want to stop doing what I am supposed to do . .  . when I want to pull the covers, and curl up deeper in the bed.

My father used to say to me that the only man who can never rest is the man who never works.  He was right.

See it is wise to work and put aside for a later day.  It is wise to take those extra hours when offered and you are physically able to.  It is wise to put funds aside, it is wise to show up when called and to do a good job.  It is wise to ignore those who complain about how tired they are and worry about the tomorrows while not doing the work offered today.  It is wise to consider the ant.  

I am on my break now at work.  I ate at my desk so that I could take the time to write this now.  I THINK that I would have time after work to do this, but will I?  Will I have the time?  Will I have the energy?  Perhaps the Marines have it right . . . seize the day, seize the moment!

Come to think about it, my "ant" is a former Marine!

God created the ant and gave it its industry.  He has also created you and I and have equiped us for industry, for work.  Please consider the ant . . . and be prepared to vacation in your winter.

Got word?

Love yah,

No comments:

Post a Comment