Wednesday, January 23, 2013

1 million bucks . . .

5Make sure that your character is free from the love of money, being content with what you have; for He Himself has said, “I WILL NEVER DESERT YOU, NOR WILL I EVER FORSAKE YOU,”
6so that we confidently say,
  “THE LORD IS MY HELPER, I WILL NOT BE AFRAID.
  WHAT WILL MAN DO TO ME?”

Hebrews 13:5-6

I started out this evening looking up the words which popped in my head, "I will never leave you nor forsake you."  I thought that I knew the context.  And indeed I did, but there was another context, this one, which I was not that familiar with.  It caught my eye.  It leaped off the pages.

I guess just because of its context.  In a discussion of money, in particular the LOVE of money, and being content with what we have, Paul throws this phrase in.  It at first seemed a little odd.  But then I started to break it down.

He gives an order:  "Make sure that your character is free from the love of money . . ."

Character is defined as "the aggregate of features and traits that form the individual nature of some person or thing." in websters.  So let's plug it in:

"Make sure that "the aggregate of features and traits that form your individual nature" is free from the love of money. . . ."  If we look at all that we do, all that we desire, all that we think about, plan, expend time and energy on, prioritize as number one,. . . all of this collectively . . . does our nature seem to be free from loving money?  What are we willing to do for money?  

My mechanic asked me the other day if I would be willing to do almost anything for 1 million dollars.  I wanted to protest, but realized that if I honestly thought about it, short of killing someone, I just might . . . although I would like to think that I wouldn't . . . I just might.  This clearly would show a love for money.  But sin does not normally come to us in such a bold fashion.  Its in the little things.  The time we do not spend with love ones to make that extra buck.  The working 3 jobs just to pay for that new car.  The constant discontent with what we have after striving so long to get it.  Yes, discontent.  See Paul makes it clear that a mark of not loving money is being content with what we have. 

It is interesting how what Paul uses as the means to impower us to do this.

He gives the motivation:  "for He Himself has said, “I WILL NEVER DESERT YOU, NOR WILL I EVER FORSAKE YOU,”

We can be content with what we have, we do not have to chase after and love money because we have the love of God who will ALWAYS be there for us!  He will not walk away or disown us.  We are His.  And because we are His we can confidently proclaim:

“THE LORD IS MY HELPER, I WILL NOT BE AFRAID.
  W
HAT WILL MAN DO TO ME?”

If the Lord is helping me what do I have to fear?!  There is NOTHING that man can do to me.  I can be content in Him and content with what I have. 

Over the last couple of months I have found myself walking right up to the brink of financial ruin sometimes daily.  I do not know how the bills will be met.  I spend every cent and pray for the next.  But I have not run out.  Instead, every need has been met, and I have found a new appreciation for my Volvo of 278,000 miles!  LOL.

God is my helper.  He is my million bucks.  Is He yours?

Got Word?

Love yah



 

No comments:

Post a Comment