Monday, January 14, 2013

Embrace the heat . . . His pain . . .

1Therefore, since Christ has suffered in the flesh, arm yourselves also with the same purpose, because he who has suffered in the flesh has ceased from sin,2so as to live the rest of the time in the flesh no longer for the lusts of men, but for the will of God.
1 Peter 4:1-2

I am not sure how to explain what I am thinking and feeling right now.  It is more than a passing or fleeting feeling.  It is way more.  Indeed it is borne out of a rising up of a discontentment within me of me.  Over the last couple of weeks God has been reminding me of whence I have walked, of what He has done for me in my life.  He has shown me all the awesome opportunities I have had and have received the benefit from. 

I rejoiced in what has been.  And found myself grieving as to what is not.

See I am more than happy to accept Christ's sacrifice for me.  I recognize that but for His love and care I would not be who I am and would not be where I am right now.  As to the good stuff, the awesome stuff, experiences and relationships, highs and mountain top experiences . . . yes it is because of His sacrifice.  This I recognize.  This I know. 

But I also recognize that because of me I am who I am and am where I am right now. . . .  I recognize that I am not ALL that I was designed to be.  I am not the full image of who He created me to be.  I do not have the fullness of life that He has set out for me.  So, I am the lesser me because of me, not Him.

And what is the reason for my current sad state of affairs?  I have not fully followed the directions of Peter:

". . . arm yourselves also with the SAME PURPOSE, . . ."

How do I do that?

" . . . because he who has suffered in the flesh has CEASED from sin . . ."

And to what purpose?

" . . . so as to live the rest of the time in the flesh no longer for the lust of men, but for the will of God."

Christ's suffering was for me to embrace suffering.  His sacrifice was to move me to sacrifice my flesh!  I don't know about you, but I don't embrace the concept of "suffering."  Indeed, I prefer to live comfortably.  I prefer to have a life of ease.  However, that is not the reason I am.  It was not Christ's purpose that we receive grace and mercy and reject sacrifice and full life in His will.  He suffered that we might suffer.

I grew up watching the tv series Kung Fu."  In the series the main character, this rather plain guy, with no money, no house, no horse (it was set back then) would move throughout the US countryside (mostly the west) spewing out budhist wisdom and beating the crap out of those who forced him to fight . . . and might I add, without breaking out into a sweat.  He would be put into solitary confinement in a tin room in 180 degree heat, sit down, and tell the others . . . "become one with the heat . . . embrace the pain."

The beating all your enemies.  I could embrace that.  But this idea of embracing pain, loving it, seeing it as a means for growth. . . "become one with the heat" . . . shaaa . . .well "grasshopper" you can keep that! 

Now don't go pulling out no budhist chants!  Budha doesn't live.  Christ does, and Peter tells us how to live fully . . . seek the same purpose of Christ . . . live in the will of God.  And how do we get there, . . . sacrifice the flesh, even as He did.  Embrace the pain He requires of us.

Today I started to make a list of the changes I needed to make to become all that I am designed to be.  Knowing now the reason for my sad state of affairs, I also know the means to change them.  Everyone of the changes that I must make involve a sacrifice of my flesh, my giving up something or doing something that God requires of me to do . . . I made a list.  You might want to also. 

It is a new year.  It has been said "no pain, no gain."  But my I rephrase:  "His pain, Eternal gain."  You on board?

Got Word?

Love yah, 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment