Monday, February 27, 2012

Proverbs 9                                                                                                            

Good morning son,

Its a very cold morning here near the Blue Ridge mountains. I realized that I had left my computer in the car and put on a coat, hat and shoes (kept my PJ's underneath – no one can see me in the 4AM dark) and rushed to the car. It was supposed to be a quick retrieval of what I needed for the day, and then a quick dart back inside. But that was not to be, for when I put the key into the car door it would not turn! Tried again – won't turn. Check key. Right key. Try again – won't turn.

Okay I know my car just turned 253k miles (may God be glorified for given the understanding to the engineer who designed the volvo, LOL – no seriously), but it is not the locks that should go first! But if I can not open the door how will I get all my important stuff out of the car. How will I get to work? How will I accomplish what I needed to do today? The key HAS to work!

Proverbs 9:4 “You who are simple, turn in here!” - and -
Proverbs 9:16 “You who are simple, turn in here!”

The same words. But they lead to different results. In vs 4 it is Wisdom speaking calling for us simpletons to come and partake of the meal she has prepared for us. I know it sounds a little harsh and really drives home our ignorance to call us “simpletons” but isn't that word accurately captures our stance before wisdom – before we acquire the wisdom of the Lord. She makes it clear that for us to acquire such we must “. . . lay aside immaturity and live and walk in the way of understanding” (vs.6.

Compare that to folly or called here as the foolish woman. In vs 16 she too is calling us simpletons, but here the meal is stolen and consists of only bread and water (compare to Wisdom verses 2, 5), it must be eaten in secret to be enjoyed. There is nothing required of the simpleton but to turn and eat. Nothing to lay aside he gets to stay as he is. No work. But whereas the result of Wisdom's meal and work is life, folly's is death. 

Don't miss the point that there is no expectation of the death that will occur by the simpleton who is sitting at folly's table. Much like we do not see where our sin takes us.

I once heard an old wise saying that went something like this: “Sin takes us further than we wanted to go. Keeps us longer than we intended to stay. And cost us more than we ever intended to pay.”

In looking at the passage we can see several ways of identifying if it is wisdom or folly that we are listening to:

  1. Can you openly do what you want to do. Do you mind if it were published across everyone's twitter account, blogged about, and reported on the 7 o'clock news, and shared at your next family reunion or, . . . hey, played out on a big screen as you are meeting Jesus for the first time in heaven! If it can only be enjoyed in secret – you are not listening to the right voice.
  2. Does it match God's word's and requirements. See Wisdom prepared a feast of meat and bread and wine. Folly water and bread. Meat here symbolizes substance. The word of God is substance. It is something you can “sink your teeth into.” If what you are thinking, pondering or doing is in accordance with His word, then you are living and walking in wisdom. Did you notice something else, the feast was prepared before the need. Point: Check the Word early – Wisdom is there, don't wait to check it, otherwise you might find yourself at the wrong table.
  3. Does it require some personal sacrifice of yourself, your laying down something, does it cost you. Does it require your participation in following. Do you have to become mature – put aside childish ways? Take on responsibility that is properly yours? King David said, “I will not offer unto the Lord, that which costs me nothing. . . “ (you know the drill – look it up!) If it is costing you something, if you are having to put aside childish ways, to mature and accept responsibility then chances are extremely good that you are following the right voice – wisdom. However, if you just kinda slid into it . . . well put it to the test of 1 and 2. Probably not listening to the right voice.

This morning when I could not get the key to work I strted to think of the other ways I could get into my car. Like through the trunk. Finally, I looked at the key, and prayed.

See when you know through 1 -3 above that you are listening to the right voice and it still does not seem to be working then stop and pray. It is not that you are listening to the wrong voice. You may have to do as the Appostle Paul wrote: “and having done all else, stand. . .” ( you know what to do . . .look it up!). Pray. God does intends to meet your needs by legitimate means – His way, through wisdom. Why would you have to try to steal or break into and get that which is already set aside for you! Its yours as His child! So, having followed Wisdom pray.

I prayed. Stuck the key in. Turned the lock. Got my stuff.

My prayer for you today is that you might seek wisdom and gain understanding, listening to its voice. And then stand on the truth. Experience His feast today in your life.

Love yah, dad

PS: Today's reading is Psalm 9 but what did you think about Psalm 8, where God has placed us? Cool Limas right? Okay, I know that the slang used is “cool beans” but I like limas – so – cool limas right? (LOL)

No comments:

Post a Comment