Monday, February 27, 2012

Proverbs 5                                                                                                   

Good morning my son,
Got Word?  Yes that is what I call these devotions and what I call the process of seeking the Lord on matters.  I sincerely hope that you are taking the time to open both Proverbs and Psalms (one chapter a day) and one book in the New Testament (if you have not gone through the gospels – Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, start with Mark or Luke).  Write down what leaps off the page to you when you are reading it and see how God speaks to you.  Don’t just say the “whole chapter” No, but take the time to ask the Lord to focus on 2-3 verses that He wants to show you.  You will be amazed at how God speaks to you and how your day will be changed because of what you do at this time in the morning. 
If you are wondering, I am stalling a little.  Why? Because there is a WHOLE lot of wisdom here.  Proverbs 5 is one of the first Proverbs that talks about dealing with “the opposite sex” – but not just anyone of “the opposite sex” or “TOS” in general, but a particular member of the TOS you may find yourself desiring.  One that can toss your world upside down – that TOS.  It is very important for you to take the time to note what particular passages leaped off the page for you – AND for your to do “the work” of acquiring understanding. 
What work?  I am glad you asked.
1.       Make a list of all the characteristics of the TOS found in verses 3-6. Got one in your life?
2.      Note the warning found in verse 8 and 12-14.  How do you protect yourself?  What is the writer referring to as to “your path” or “your way?”  Break it down.  Does it include what you read?  What sites you have bookmarked?  Who you follow on Twitter or Facebook? Where you go for relaxation?  Who you hang out with?  Point:  don’t just read the words, “dig a little deeper in the well.” (thank you Oak Ridge Boys for the song, LOL)
3.      Verses 9-14 takes the time to tell you what will happen to you if you do not follow the advice.  What is your honor?  Did you realize that God sees you as honorable?  That he has given you intrinsic value and honor? Take time to note and think, what would it look like to have merciless years?  What does your wealth going to strangers equal in today’s society? Child support? Palimony? How is your flesh and body consumed?  And although it speaks of “at the end of your life” is this not really a process going throughout your life? The groaning?  The public ruin?
4.      Make a note that there is a “cistern” for you. Sometimes I wonder if God isn’t just getting a kick out of his usage of words.  See a cistern was usually carved out of solid rock to collect and store water.  It became the means by which one could always find drink.  It could be better protected than water that flowed in the streets, and the writer makes sure that we know that this cistern is filled not with stagnant water but with water from a well, fountains of living water.  protected and kept pure.  Would you desire a drink of “flat” water (no pun intended) or living “full bodied” water (okay, I give up – pun MAY be intended – leave that up to you, LOL).  Point there is a cistern that is intended for you, yours alone.  Don’t drink from the water on the streets.  Got Word?
5.      Note verses 20 – 23.  For me this portion embodies the words which leaped off the page for me – vs 21 “For human ways are under the eyes of the Lord, and he examines all their paths.  Another tool for studying and hearing from God, when you have identified the verse which leaps, go back and identify words in that verse which further speak to you.  For example the words in bold spoke loudly to me:  “For human ways are under the eyes of the Lord, and he examines all their paths.” With this further word from him I begin my examination, my asking him to search me, and expose my human ways in all my paths.  I write them down so that I do not THINK I have done the work and yet have only sat there and – while putting my index finger to my chin, taking the pose of Michael Angelo’s statute “the thinker,” and sighing loud and sufficiently with religious sobriety that even Pope John would have had to admit that I really LOOKED like I was working through my conviction, was being convicted by the Holy Spirit – fooled myself and not done squat (or “diddly,” or “bull,” “folly” or any other words which mean NOTHING OF LASTING VALUE!).  But writing these things down takes discipline . . . and I don’t like “discipline” it’s a four letter word to me!  OH, OH, OH the writer has one LAST word on the matter here: “They DIE for LACK OF DISCIPLINE, and because of their GREAT FOLLY they are LOST.”
WRITE IT DOWN WARRIOR!
I will leave you to work on Psalm 5 yourself BUT I can not help but point out one of the major reasons for this morning “GW?” sessions, and it is found in verse 3:
O Lord, in the morning you hear my voice; in the morning I plead my case to you and watch.”
What is the psalmist watching? What is the writer watching for?
Well I had better stop.  You go have some fun. 
It’s still morning hear, and if it isn’t where you are at right now . . . it somewhere and this may just be the start of your new day?  My only question to you this day, before you get going . . .
GW? Got Word?
Love yah son,
dad

No comments:

Post a Comment