Tuesday, February 19, 2013

One weapon . . . when you don't know what to pray starting out

17 I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit[f] of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better.
18 I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in his holy people, 19 and his incomparably great power for us who believe.  Ephesians 1:17
You might not have much time today, so I will get straight to the point.
There are times that I do not know how to pray.  It is then that I will go to a prayer that is straight from the bible.  I plug in my name, or the person that I am praying for, and pray the pray.  Here Paul tells us what he prays for the Ephesian church which had shown great faith and love for God’s people. 
Let’s try it:
God I pray that you give to ___________ the Spirit of wisdom and revelation that __________ may know you better.  I pray that the eyes of ____________’s  heart may be enlightened that __________ may know the hope to which Christ has called me/them, the riches of your glorious inheritance in me/them your holy people, and your incomparably great power for us/them who believe.
The beginning of the prayer starts with the foundation of all knowledge, understanding and life – a better knowledge of Christ.  Here the word “know” is not a head knowledge but an in depth, intimate and fully embracing relationship based knowledge.  It is knowing Him as He would be known.  It is seeing and fully receiving the full comprehension of His love towards us who believe.  It is being known by Him and yet being fully accepted as we are to completion into what we are destined to become.  It is knowing that in Him all things move, live and have their being and that apart from Him there is no life.  It is abundance, fulfillment, joy, peace.  None of this can be known fully absent the spirit of wisdom and revelation.  Or perhaps it would better be read, revelation and wisdom.  Revelation absent wisdom does not take us where we need to go, just like wisdom without the substance of revelation does not get us there either.  So the prayer starts with a basic requirement for life.
It moves on to request that we know the hope of our calling, the riches of our inheritance deposited within us, and the great incomparable power to accomplish both.  How often do we wonder for what purpose we are here?  Absent hope in a true purpose why is life worth living?  And so Paul would pray that we are enlightened to that hope. 
Most recently the Lord has reminded me of pronouncements that have been made over my life.  Things that others have shared with me that God said would happen, and which to date have not.  He has also reminded me of the things that were said that have happened.  These reminders have come at a time when I needed them most.  When I have been flailing around like a fish out of water – alive but outside of my medium, destined to die unless returned to the life giving water.  He has taken the time to remind me of the hope of my calling in Him.  And because of that, I have renewed my strength and started a fresh to seek His word, direction and order . . . in the present for the SURE future which is to come!  Enlightenment of your heart to the hope of your calling will do that for you.  It has a present effect; a present transformation affecting a future reality.
In being reminded of the hope, I became immediately aware of my limited resources  in making it happen.  To this Paul would pray that we would be aware of the riches of our inheritance deposited within us . . . and may I say PRESENTLY deposited within us.  This is an inheritance which we can pull from today, not after we are dead and gone.  He wants us to understand that our Father owns a cattle on a thousand hills . . . He has given you talents, abilities, experiences, friends, supporters.  He has so much more at HIS disposal to bless you to accomplish HIS will in your life.  See if it is Him leading it is HIS responsibility to support.  And the support does not stop with the “stuff”  it moves forward to the POWER to accomplish the hope.
I may have dreams.  I may have the resources to accomplish the dreams.  But if I cannot get up out of the bed to do them . . . well the hope will die.  God says that He will give us the power to accomplish the hope – HIS power!  As the power is of HIM it is not limited by us!  It is appropriate to the task. It is an ever present resource that never runs out!  He supplies our need.  He opens the windows of heaven.  He pours out a blessing that we do not have room enough to receive.  We have all the energy to accomplish His will in us, in our lives.
So . . .
Pray the prayer from Ephesians.  Indeed, perhaps we should be praying this daily even if we think we know what to pray.  It is powerful . . . Right?!
Yes it is.
Got Word?
Love yah

No comments:

Post a Comment