Thursday, March 29, 2012

Previous Study:  "A tribute to "Uncle E"                                                                  
Good morning son,

A little over a month ago I was laughing with him, talking about the year to come. Last night I stood with the family as we each said our goodbyes after he closed his eyes for the last time. You do not understand sometimes why God shows you different things in your time with him in the morning, but it is always to prepare you. He does not leave his children, you and I in the dark. See yesterday morning when I opened the Word I opened to a very familiar passage for me, Psalm 22. The words that leaped off the page for me were as follows:

“Many bulls surround me; strong bulls of Bashan encircle me. Roaring lions tearing their prey open their mouths wide against me. I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint. My heart has turned to was; it has melted away within me. My strength is dried up like a potsherd, and my tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth; you lay me in the dust of death. Dogs have surrounded me; a band of evil men has encircled me, they have pierced my hands and my feet.

Psalms 22: 12-16

Christian scholars all agree that this passage, this Psalm is speaking of Jesus. As I often do, I like to go back and read the entire passage for context, because you can not understand God's word outside of its context. I won't take the time here to expound too much on the context, but would encourage you to read the whole Psalm and ask yourself the question, if this is about Jesus, then how exactly is his cry for help answered?

From the embolden words above you see that he was to die. You also see that he was to suffer prior to his death. Okay I get it. So why was God showing me this yesterday?

I was rushing to my friend's side to pray and worship with the family. We were praying for his healing. His nieces had worked up a prayer vigile where he would be prayed for every hour on the hour starting at midnight that night. A lot of us were fasting and praying, believing God would come through in spite of what the doctors said. We believed he would be healed from the pain and misery of his cancer racked body.

The passage goes on to give you his cry for help, for God's deliverance:

“But you, O Lord, be not far off; O my Strength, come quickly to help me. Deliver my life from the sword, my precious life from the power of the dogs. Rescue me from the mouth of lions; save me from the horns of the wild oxen.”
Psalms 22: 19 -21

But did God do this for Jesus? Did God come quickly to help him? Did God deliver him from the sword, his precious life from the power of the dogs? Did he rescue him from the mouth of lions?

Our seminary professors would often remind us to not take on more than we can chew, and I am dangerously teetering on the edge of doing that. But please hang in there with me. It is often times in struggling with the hard questions that we come up with a greater life changing truth. And as is the case in scripture, the truth is found in the word. Read on.

“I will declare your name to my brothers; in the congregation I will praise you.” Psalm 22:22

What a statement of affirmation! What a statement of faith! Oh that I could declare his name to my brothers! Oh that I could rise from my bed of affliction (a big word preachers like to use that just means pain and sickness) to sing forth the praises to God! Wow!

But did this happen for Jesus? Or did he not die?

The passage clearly stated that God laid him down in the dust of death. He died. My friend and brother died last night too.

So if all scripture is true, then how is this passage true? How was his faith answered? To get that understanding we have to ask ourselves a question: which congregation is he standing in? which congregation is he singing his praises with his brothers in?

We desired that our friend and loved one last night stay in this land, a land which we wrongly describe as the land of the living. But that description hides or belies the fact that our true life is a life that is eternal. The place where we are currently living would more properly be described as the land of the dieing. See from the very first breath we take on this earth we begin the process of dieing. Our life is only found in Christ and it is only in his presence that we truly experience life. Remember Jesus's words: “I come that you might have life and that more abundantly!” (look it up). His is a life that is based in the eternal well spring of the Holy Spirit. He empowers us. He lifts us up. He heals us and equips us. He teaches us all things. He gives us understanding and wisdom is found in Him. And all of this is simply our touching the immortal God, allowing his eternal character to live within us, His eternal life to reign within our eternal spirits . . . while we live in the land of the dieing.

The congregation the writer speaks is the congregation before God. A congregation that we are also a part of here as His children through His spirit. See my brother did not leave me. He stands in the same congregation that I do, only now a little closer to the throne without all the hangups of sin that I have, without the burden of day by day dieing.

The passage goes on to express praise and glory to the father. It goes on to instruct us, “you who fear the Lord, praise him!” (vs23). It further goes on to assure us that “he has not despised or disdained the suffering of the afflicted one; he has not hidden his face from him but has listened to his cry for help.” (vs 24).

Last night my brother passed when all the family stepped out of the room to allow the nurses to attend to him for a moment. It was as if he did not want to hurt the family in seeing him take his last dieing breath. But just as he took his last dieing breath on this earth he took his first living breath in the very presence of the congregation of the Lord! A breath that did not have any pain attached to it at all.

We focus on the death. God focuses on the life. Yes, Jesus died, but one could say his greatest work was done in his rising from the dead, in his resurrection. His life in the land of the dieing was only about 33 years. His life in the congregation of the saints is an eternity!

Read the rest of the Psalm and see if it is not true of the Christ we serve. Indeed the Psalm ends with the words: “They will proclaim his righteousness to a people yet unborn – for he has done it.” (vs 31)

God was trying to prepare me for my brother's transfer from the land of the dieing to the land of the living. I did not see it at the time, when those words leaped off the pages yesterday. But today I am beginning to understand. The psalmist wrote “Show me, O Lord, my life's end and the number of my days; let me know how fleeting is my life.” Psalm 39:4.

Yes our life is short, like Jesus's was here in the land of the dieing. But our life is eternal in the land of the living.

This day may you make your decisions in light of the understanding of the eternal life awaiting you, so that you may be in the presence of Christ, in all fullness of life, abundance of joy, and freedom from sin, pain, misery and disease.

My brother did and last night he heard the words, “Welcome home my good and faithful servant come on in.” He is dancing before the Lord today, in the congregation which we are all a part of through His Holy Spirit both here and for an eternity.

Love yah,

dad

                                                           


No comments:

Post a Comment