Monday, March 19, 2012

Proverbs 26                                                                                                          


Good morning son,

In my father's church the men's chorus used to love to sing these words:

“I woke up this morning with my mind, Stayed on Jesus . . . “

This morning that is how I woke up. Although it felt good, it also was a little disturbing. Why? Because what I was being told about me was not all that comforting. See sometimes I wish that He would just kinda let me deal with me. I wish He could just “sugar coat” the bitter pill. Maybe even not tell me the truth . . . NO I don't mean lie to me . . . but simply, maybe just stay quiet when it might hurt a little.

Proverbs 26:24-26

“A malicious man disguises himself with his lips, but in his heart he harbors deceit. Though his speech is charming, do not believe him, for seven abominations fill his heart. His malice may be concealed by deception, but his wickedness will be exposed in the assembly.”

Proverbs 26:28

“A lying tongue hates those it hurts, and a flattering mouth works ruin.”

I really hope that you read all of Proverbs 26 today, and that you wrote down what leaped off the pages to you. A lot of wisdom there. But for all the wisdom there these two passages leaped out at me.

Both passages deal with speech.

In verses 24-26 the malicious man, “. . . . disguises himself with his lips,” “his speech is charming. . .” he/she utilizes every means of “deception” to conceal his malice.

In verse 26 we see that their wickedness will later be exposed in public. Whooptie Do! But in the meantime I have to suffer from the trap they have set for me! I guess that is why the other verse leaped out to me.

Proverbs 26:28

“A lying tongue hates those it hurts, and a flattering mouth works ruin.”

Both of the wrongs being done here in this verse lying and flattering are mirrored from the previous passage in disguised speech or deceit and charming speech. In looking at this passage with the other, we may find a way to keep from the trap of the malicious man.

If you said a lie to momma P as a child you were likely to hear this verse. I often thought just how harsh a statement it was. See I was only telling a “little white lie.” Note all the adjectives which try to make it sound innocent – little (not big and earth shattering) and white (not a black lie, which in our minds would be absolutely terrible and devastating).

But make no mistake here, lying is wrong and we see that the result of a lie is hurt, pain, and distress. With a lie we can shame someone, create guilt where none should be, mislead others to their own or others detriment. With a lie we can kill a person's reputation, spirit, well being. With a lie we can leave someone to believe something is okay with us when it is not. A lie hurts. It is a purposeful deceitful communication.

Looking back at the malicious man/woman in verse 24 above it is obvious that he/she will be utilizing lying in their arsenal of disguised speech. I won't speak of the obvious lies, but perhaps we need to take a look at more subtle lying – the very cunning. All lies for the moment make us feel pretty good about ourselves. This is what makes a lie so easy for us to believe. It may be a lie from one about a third party which will cause us to not trust the third party. Why would we accept such a lie? Because again, perhaps the third party is telling you the truth about something that you do not want to hear. It is always easier to dismiss them and accept a lie about them (the third party) then to deal with what they may be saying. We may forget all the good that has come about because of the third party.

Sounds a little complicated, heh? Yes and no. It has been said that “sin takes many forms but a lie is the handle that fits all of them.”

Want to uncover a malicious man – look for the truth on a matter. Listen for lies. See if the evidence bears witness to what is being said.

And what about the “flattering mouth” which works ruin? Does this not sound like the charming speech of the deceitful man/woman in verse 25? We always like to be around those who flatter us. But is that wise? Should we? Webster defines flatter as “To praise unduly or insincerely; to play upon the hopes or vanity of another.” It's definition helps me understand why it would lead to our ruin – its insincere or can we say it moves past the truth, is not based on what really is, it is by its nature another form of lying. If that is what flattering is, you can keep it!

I understand that we participate with God in what He tells us to do, and when we do what He says, there is success. However, when someone, myself included, begins to consistently point out MY contribution in it, lifting it up, I begin to get rather nervous. When someone can see nothing but good in what I have done in a relationship. When they describe every word coming out of my mouth as being just so “precious” I immediately stand up take notice. That is flattering. It is contrary to my best interest to listen to it and receive it. I put that person and relationship in check. Ignoring this will becomes my ruin.

I can trust that God will always tell me the truth on a matter, whether I like it or not. He does not disguise it, and His desire is to see me succeed, to see me grow and prosper, His desire is for me to experience His love which always puts what would be in my best interest upfront. His heart is for me, and therefore his speech is plain and direct.

Both passages speak of the condition of the heart of the individual deceiving and lying to you. One speaks of the person as acting out of a malicious heart - “. . . . in his heart he harbors deceit,” “seven abominations fill his heart.” Malice is defined as a willful, purposeful disposition or desire to injure another. Contrast that to God who acts not out of a heart of malice but out of a heart of what is best for us; a heart full of goodness, kindness and caring for you and I. In the other passage we see that the person who is lying to us is acting out of a heart of hate. Their hate verses God's love. I think I know which one I wish to listen to. Do you?

“I woke up this morning with my mind, Stayed on Jesus . . .”

Remember that song? And then He spoke truth to me. See God's word is always true. So what should we do with what we are being told – examine what another is saying to us to God's word. Is what they are encouraging us to do right according to God's word? The scripture says “you shall know the tree by the fruit it bears.” They may be speaking like they know life, but is that what you see flowing from their life? In your dealings with them have you found them to be true? Do you find yourself being drawn closer to God in their presence than away from Him? Do you pray more around them? Do you want to study God's word more around them? Do they encourage you to tell the truth, and to do the right thing according to His word?

I could go on and on with the questions, but you could most likely do as good if not better a job of it than I. So do it. Examine what you are being told. Take a close look at who you let get close to you. It is not your enemies that you need to worry the most about hurting you or leading you into danger – them you keep away, and consider everything they say suspect – it is your friends. “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not upon your own understanding.” (look it up)

Got it?

Love yah,

dad

No comments:

Post a Comment