Thursday, March 29, 2012

Previous Study:  "Proverbs 1 and Psalms 32"                                                            

 
Good morning son,

Proverbs 1 and Psalm 32

Now if you are like me, memorization is not that strong a thing. I sometimes have a hard time remembering what I went in a room to get, much less a passage of scripture. But I would encourage you to start memorizing the word. So this will be about as difficult for me as it is for you. But hang in there, we can do this.

And why?

When I was in the Army I had to memorize the Code of Conduct. Why? Because by doing so it kept us ever mindful of how we were to serve in the Army, how we were to function as a lean, mean cohesive fighting machine. And here . . . why would we memorize God's word? Well there is a verse that says, “Thy word have I hid in my heart that I may not sin against you.” Forgive me for the Olde English, but that is how I memorized it when I was a young'um. Basically it means I have taken hold of God's word deep inside of me and it, His word does the work of keeping me on the right path; i.e. the work of obeying God. See the more of His word I put in me the more straight my path will be. Okay, I am using a little “churchy talk” – “straight path” – basically by “straight path” I mean the more I will be living in the way God intended me to live, fulfilling my purpose here in life and staying on the course or way that he has for me – being obedient. Charles Stanley, the great preacher, says that our responsibility is to obey God and leave the consequences up to him. I agree. And the best way to help us obey Him is to put more of Him inside of us. By memorizing scripture we are doing just that. Got it? Well you will. It works. If you hang in there with me, you and I both will be amazed at what He does.

Oh, and don't beat yourself up if you feel that you are not getting this memorization thing down. It will come with time and effort. I may will put up verses you might want to memorize and if in your readings you come across something else you would like to memorize well go right ahead, don't let me stop you. What is most touching you in God's word will always be what is easiest to remember. It is real to you. Let Him speak. Listen and write it down.

Here is a verse to memorize.

Many are the woes of the wicked, but the Lord's unfailing love surrounds the man who trusts in him.” – Psalm 32: 10

There are many ways you can go about memorization of the passage. Write it out a large number of times on a piece of paper. Get an index car and write on one side the location of the verse and pieces of it like “Many are ___ ____ of the _______, but the Lord's __________ _____ surrounds ____ ____ who _______ in _______.” Or simply put the place where the passage is on one side and the verse written out three times on the back. At least three times a day look at the card and try to say the verse by memory. Check your progress on the back. These are just my ideas. But again I am not very good at this. So perhaps you may have a better way of doing this. If you do, just let me know. In any case, we will get going to getting that word inside of us. Got it?

As always, what I am writing is not the total of what you should be doing. It is only the verses that leaped off the pages to me and my study of them, and application. You should be writing down what leaped off the pages to you when you read both Proverbs and Psalms. This is God speaking to you. It may be different than what leaped off the pages to me. And that is more than okay. These “Got Word?”'s are not to take the place of your own asking God. They are only to help you, maybe see something else in the passages that you are reading.

Don't worry if you can't write out a whole lot on the interpretation, what you are hearing from him. I keep a separate notebook myself with a whole lot less writing than what you read here. It consists mainly of the verses that leaped off the pages and what I think he is saying to me about them. Rarely do I go into the detail you see here in writing. What I do do is write out the whole verse that leaped off the page and what I think I am to get from it for my life today. This becomes an amazing encouragement and a record of what I am hearing from God. It is kinda like a training journal of exercise. Okay, I know you already got it. So let me hit today's GW?, which because I took so much time writing this other stuff will be abbreviated (short).

So here is what leaped off the pages to me:

Proverbs 1:7 “The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline.”

If you take a look at this verse it follows a breakdown of what all of these proverbs are from starting out with Proverbs 1:1-2 “. . . .for attaining wisdom and discipline; for understanding words of insight; for acquiring a disciplined and prudent life, doing what is right and just and fair;. . .Right from the beginning the author lets you know where he is going and why, i.e. what is the reason that we are reading and studying these. He makes it plain. What are we trying to gain – wisdom, discipline, understanding, a prudent life – doing what is right, just and fair. In verse seven he gives us the main point – fear God.

“Fear God” What exactly does that look like. We know from the writing that it will be the gateway to knowledge and wisdom, but what exactly does it look like?

Do you remember the quote from Dr. Charles Stanley above - “obey God and leave the consequences up to Him.” Well that is what fearing God is. It is simply obeying Him. It is simply doing what He says, trusting in Him, trusting that His word is true when others would mock it and call it foolish. It is simply fearing no one, or no thing more than Him.

Oh, but I don't fear anything. I am my own person. No one dictates to me what I will do, where I will go, who I will be with, what I will wear. Really? REALLY?

Take a look in the mirror. Would you say that the clothes your are wearing are all that unique from those in the crowd at a bus stop? Would you say that your speech is all that different from the people you hang around with? Would you say that your lifestyle choices are all that different from those around you? Now, if you are like me, you recognize that they are not all that different. But the question really isn't whether they are or they are not, it is WHY are they what they are. If they are anything but what they are supposed to be by God then it is an example of your fearing “whatever” more than you fear Him. Let me give you an example.

I went to bed this morning at 1:30AM. God awoke me at 4:30AM. I could not sleep. I kept lying there and tossing. I knew He wanted to speak to me, but was concerned that I would not get the rest I thought that I needed. Indeed, I kinda wanted to say to Him – PLEASE don't you understand that I need my sleep! Why do we have to talk right now? After tossing around for a little I got up and came downstairs here to seek the Lord.

When I went to bed last night I had a number of heartaches on my mind. Questions that I wanted to have answers to. When I came downstairs I did as I tell you to do. I asked the Lord to speak to me, opened the word (the bible) and read. The verses which leaped off the pages was what I wrote down in my notebook. I not only got answers to the questions in my heart, but direction and confirmation of what I was believing already that I was to do, but was afraid of doing. But that was not enough. I felt the need to continue and do today's GW? So this is why I am still up right now writing. But don't you worry, sleep is returning to my eyes as I come to the end here.

Now am I afraid that I may not get enough rest? Yes, I was. But I am charged to fear God more than I fear even my own concerns for myself. I am charged to trust Him in the provision of what I need. And that includes sleep. It also includes confirmation and direction from Him. He knows that without such a word from His word, my sleep will be restless and not peaceful and my day will be full of frustration and lack direction. I gained wisdom and understanding this morning.

Fear the Lord and begin to gain wisdom and understanding.

The last month following these GW?'s may have been a little difficult. Some of them were a little hard to read, I know they were not easy to write. And this month will be no less difficult and challenging. The only way that each of us can stay on this path; that each of us can continue to read and apply the word that we see before us; that we can memorize scripture, etc. is if we fear the Lord more than anything else and are willing to do the work.

Are you? I am. And He is willing to work with me and you to make us all that He designed us to be IF we but first fear Him above all else.

So get to work His child. Read and write in your notebook for today. Start to memorizing. Let's see where God will take us going forward!

Got Word?

I did.

Love yah,

dad

No comments:

Post a Comment