Thursday, March 1, 2012

Proverbs 16                                                                                                                                

Good morning son,

I am sorry for the late release of this GW. Was up pretty late and had some difficulty sleeping. Whenever that happens – difficulty in sleeping – it has invariably been due to unsettled matters in my life. My spirit is in a state of unrest – sometimes because of decisions which have to be made and I don't know what to do, and other times because I kinda know what I must do and may simply be afraid or don't want to do it. The scriptures that leaped off the pages to me this morning spoke directly to this dilemma.

Proverbs 16:3 “Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and your plans will succeed.”

Proverbs 16:33 “The lot is cast into the lap, but its decision is from the Lord.”

These two verses are foundational truths for me by which I live my life. They also contain how I have counseled you and many others over the years. To the extent that I have been successful, it is because I have taken these verses to heart and lived by them PLEASE PLEASE do not take light the truth in these verses.

When I was in law school I had to take off for 2 months for the birth of our bundles of joy (you know who you are :-) During that time I worked at a Circle K convenience storre cleaning toilets, mopping floors, and doing a number of other sundry things, working 11PM to 7AM. One couple visited us during that time and said to us words to the effect of, “Oh, I see that Murphy has dropped out of law school to pursue a career at Circle K as a night assistant manager.” A career at Circle K! That is not all that bad – IF that is what God had for me, but His plans had not changed. And I couldn't help but notice that they assumed I would make a career as the Assistant Manager! A career of always being outside of God's will! I couldn't believe it!

They never were invited to our home again.

I could not go there with them. Why? Because the plans that God had for me were different. And every time I stuck my hand to clean a toilet, every time I mopped the floor, or swept the parking lot or cleaned the hot-dog machine or nacho cheese dispenser (once you ever have to clean one of those you will never get nacho cheese at a convenience store again!) - I repeated to myself Proverbs 16:3. I committed my work to the Lord. I thanked Him for it. I did my best and trusted his word.

See no matter WHAT you are doing right now. No matter WHAT is your current state of affaris. If you committ your work to the Lord HE will establish your dreams! He will make your plans succeed!

This is assuming that your plans are in accord with His, as only His will does He support. And what about His plans for you . . . .

“For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” Jeremiah 29:11

Okay I know that I gave you the bible passage. But I really do not want for you to delay in looking it up and reading the text aournd it. Take note of what was going on. Just how bad things were for God's people and yet God says I have plans to prosper and give hope and a future! AWESOME!

See your future is not dependent upon where you stand or where you have been! He has plans to prosper you and give you a hope and a future! What do you do in the meantime, what do you do to ensure its occurrence – you committ your way to the Lord; you committ your works to the Lord. THEN He will make your plans succeed.

But how do I know the plans, His plans for me?

You know how I have taught you to pray to God and ask him your question; to ask Him to show you in His Word the answer; to ask Him to let your eyes fall on what He wants you to see and to read for as much as He wants you to; then to open the word and do just that; to write down the verse and to seek God for the application to your life; to continue the process until you have a clear understanding of what He is saying to you? Well that whole process is based upon this next verse, and the assurance embodied throughout Proverbs 16:

Proverbs 16:33 “The lot is cast into the lap, but its decision is from the Lord.”

The lot that they are referring to consisted of two stones urim and purim. These stones were in the ephond of the high priest and were thought to embody the light and perfection of God. Whenever there was an issue which the Hebrews could not know what to do, they would cast the stones believing that God would speak through them – i.e. the casting was of their hands, but the knowledge, the information and direction were controled by the Lord. Therefore what appeared to be a chance venture was actually within the control of God when His people were seeking Him.

Same here with the process of opening the bible to obtain God's word on a matter. It may appear to be chance but it is in actuality controlled by the Lord. When Christ came to live within you he gave you the gift of the Holy Spirit, who has as one of its responsibilities to teach you all things. You open the word as above, seeking Him, He answers and He interprets. You then must do. All in the enlightenment is in the hand of the Lord.  The follow through action . . . yours.

With this knowledge, you can then press forward in accord with His word, His plan; committing your current work and knowing He will make success of your plans.

So you misunderstood. Don't worry. Just keep seeking Him and learning His voice. Being obedient as best as you can and trust that as you committ your works to Him He will establish your plans. As the plans He is going to establish are only those in accord with His word, then you can trust that they will conform to Jeremiah 19:13; they will be plans to prosper you and NOT harm you, to give you a hope and a future.

Be sure to look at Psalm 16. I think you will find a whole lot of complimentary stuff.

So now you know why I so strongly hold to "Got Word?"

I will pass away but His word never will.

Love yah,

dad

No comments:

Post a Comment