Friday, March 30, 2012

Previous Study (Proverbs 4)                                                                                   


Good morning son,

Well, you and I both know it is not morning, at least at the time I am writing this. Will try to move back to writing these in the morning next week. But for now, forgive me, these hours and schedule needs to be brought into order. We will get it together.

Proverbs 4:1-2 “Listen, my sons, to a father's instruction; pay attention and gain understanding. I give you sound learning so do not forsake my teaching.”

These verses leaped off the page to me this morning and I find myself returning to them again at this time. I did not understand why they so spoke to me to just now, after all the events of the day, after all the conversations of the time. But now I do know why . . . it is not because of what is there but because of what is not there.

See today I found myself involved in a conversation where I was assured that the individual respected my opinion. They focused on me, partly I suspect because I was constantly putting them back to what God's word says. They NEVER came or spoke about what HE said about the matter. They knew that already, and they knew that they were “hell bent” on not doing what He said. See the only way any of us can stand and go against what the preacher is saying, what the Word of God says about the matter, is if we can bring it down to a man to man level. In a God to man fight, we know we will loose. But if we can focus on the man, not the God . . . well we can tell them “I respect you.”

AHH THERE is the word that I did not find in Proverbs . . . “respect.” Indeed I don't think I have ever heard a writer in the bible use that word, or concept when it comes to the relationship we are to have with our Heavenly Father and His word or commands or, indeed orders to us. Obedience – yes. Pay attention to – yes. Understand – yes. Don't forsake – yes. But “respect” - no. Why? Perhaps it is because of the definition of the word.

By now you know that I like using Webster's dictionary. “Respect” – “1) to have differential regard for, to esteem. 2) to treat with propriety or consideration. 3) to regard as inviolable; avoid intruding upon. 4) to have relation or reference to; concern.” Do you notice what is missing? None of the definitions require you to submit to the other's opinion. None of them establishes any relationship person to person, except to the extent that you know where they stand and where you stand. Indeed each person's opinion or way is kept completely isolated from any influence from the other. What therefore is lacking? Recognition that one way is right and another is wrong. That one opinion and counsel may lead to life and the other to death.

I can “respect” you in your ignorance and disobedience to God's word and watch you go to hell. And you can respect me in what you may view as my solitary opinion – a belief in a God which makes consequences non-negotiable. In such a “respectful situation” we each have no pressure to change. We can stand where we want to.

However, “respect” for God and His teachings and commands is not what is required by the Lord of us. What is required is obedience.

“Listen, my sons, to a father's instruction; . . .”

Listening is an active word which requires more than just hearing. If you doubt it just read on . . . “ pay attention and gain understanding” When you are sitting and hearing the words and teachings you must be paying attention. When you get up from them, you should have gained understanding – you should be changed by what you heard, by what you listened to.

Over the years I have found a unique phenomenon as to the independent life, power and authority of the Word of God. God may lead me to tell someone something, a warning, a promise, a correction, and then God will remove me from their presence. Why? So the phenomenon of a living, breathing God may be truly experienced in their life. Sometimes months and even years later they will see me and, depending on what they did with the word of God, if obeyed, tell me of what happened next. If disobeyed, will ask me to stop hounding them on the matter! Really?! I may not have seen or spoken to them for months and years, and yet the Word of God continues to live and speak to them. I don't rejoice in the hell they are putting themselves through, although I do rejoice in a God who will not let them go. I rejoice in the assurance from His dogging them that they are indeed His children, and He loves them; for those He loves He disciplines and never gives up on. That is not me who said and does that, it is Him.

Consistently through the Proverbs and throughout the entire Bible you see where the word tells you to “fear” God. I have heard preachers try to put in the word “respect” because like me, and perhaps you too, the word “fear” just seems a little on the harsh side. But I think that He really means “fear”. We may cross those whom we simply respect, we may do whatever we want to. But those who we fear; those we do not cross. With fear we have a relationship which impacts our lives, whether we want it to or not. It is a relationship which calls us to obedience. Look on:

“I give you sound learning, so do not forsake my teaching.”

Although He does not have to, the writer gives us a reason for following His teachings, for being obedient . . . He gives sound learning. Because it is sound you are told to obey it.

You are not told to respect God's teachings and learnings. You are told to obey them.

Point: God calls us into a relationship with Him where He is God and we are not – where He is supreme and we are not – where He is right and where we disagree, we are not – where He has set the rules of the game, and we can not escape the consequences of our decisions.

As a father myself I don't care one bit if you “respect me” when I give instruction, but I do care if you do not obey. God is no different. And as each of you are grown persons, you have a direct line to hearing and being obedient to Him. I may sound the alarm, but I do not wield the whip, or belt . . . He does. I may speak of the glory to come in your life as a result of your obedience to Him, but it is He who delivers it to your doorstep. Your choice. Your consequence.

So what would I encourage you to do today:

“Listen, my sons, to a father's instruction; pay attention and gain understanding. I give you sound learning so do not forsake my teaching.”

Read the word.

Do the word.
Obey the Lord and have life and that more abundantly. Walk not according to the ways of everyone else but dance only to the beat of HIS drum, even if you stick our. It is God who is your salvation and your hope. It is He who loves you in your secret places, and it is He who will never leave you nor forsake you.

Got it?

Love yah,

dad

No comments:

Post a Comment