Monday, March 19, 2012

Proverbs 21                                                                                                          


Good morning son,

I want to give an introduction but today, I am just too tired. My head is hurting, my eyes are burning and I am attempting to type with my eyes closed. But I am determined to get this out this morning versus latter today.

Recently I went to meet with an individual for an interview. When I got there, where he was supposed to be, I called him and we spoke on the phone. He then informed me that he could not see me and if I could wait till 7 or 7:30 and possibly see him then. Since it was only 2 hours more, and I had traveled a long way to see him, I decided to wait. Several calls later, and a text – result – we did not meet. Will meet soon? I do not know. I do know that I had some choice words I wished to say to him.

Proverbs 21:23 “He who guards his mouth and his tongue keeps himself from calamity.

“guards” An interesting choice of words. Why not “control”? Why not “pay attention to”? Why not “carefully attend to”? No, the writer chooses to use words translated into the active verb of “guard.”

When I was in the Army I oftentimes had to serve as a night guard. We would be given our assigned area to keep watch over. Nobody could go out or come in that did not have the pass code. We were told how to sound the alarm. We were given weapons to defend or secure the post. We were given instructions on how to address any issue that may come up, small ones and large.

Often times one of the things I like to do with a passage is plug in words or phrases which describe or translate the meaning of a key word. So applying this tool for understanding to the passage, utilizing my army experience I get:

“He who keeps watch over, who does not allow any word out that should not be said of his mouth and his tongue keeps himself from calamity.” “He who sounds an alarm to warn where impending danger of dangerous release or attack from his mouth or tongue keeps himself from calamity.” He who utilizes his weapons of warfare (“For the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh but have divine power to destroy strongholds – 2 Corinthians 10:4 – okay, I know I normally would say look it up but, I'm tired and figured you might be too) to defend or secure the mouth and tongue, keeps himself from calamity.” See how it works?

By doing this little technique the word often comes alive. By trying to think of a situation which illustrates the passage you also may reach an understanding which may not appear on the face of the passage. For example, here there is something that is critical in the application of this passage that is nowhere written in it.

Remember my discussion of my experience as a guard in the Army? In describing what my job as a guard was, of how I guarded from my post, I failed to mention a critical component of my job – I had to stay alert. If I did not stay alert all could be lost.

The word alert is nowhere in the passage. However, to guard ones mouth and tongue one must remain alert.. It is often in our weakest point, when we would wish to lie down on the job that the attack is the strongest and we have the biggest chance of loosing the battle. I must guard my mouth and tongue when I feel under attack; when I feel under appreciated; when I would want to mislead or lie to make things temporarily more easy for me (note the use of the word “temporarily”). I must stay on extreme alert in every instance that I know in the past I have lost the battle, being constantly aware of the triggers, but also knowing that I can win this battle. I must stay alert.

There is another word which calls for my attention in this passage - “calamity.”

Calamity captures for me more than a ruin or destruction, but the character of the disaster which is to occur – sudden and complete. When I hear “it was a calamity” I think of the tsunami which hit Japan. I think of the earthquakes in Haiti. I thing of sudden unexpected complete disasters. Nothing that could be planned for, or avoided – disasters outside of ones control. And here there is no difference. The psalmist wants to communicate to us that not to guard our mouth and our tongue we will experience a disaster of epidemic proportions suddenly and without recourse.

So we guard our tongue, from what?

I have been asked whether cursing and cussing were against God's word. I have been told that it is only my opinion that it is wrong. Really? Let's look at the word. Ephesians 4:29. To get a better understanding lets look at several translations.

“Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.” New International Version

“Don't use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them.” New Living Translation

“Let no filthy talk be heard from your mouths, but only what is good for building up people and meeting the need of the moment. This way you will administer grace to those who hear you.” International Standard Version

I would say that those passages are pretty clear. They also give us insight as to what we are to guard our mouths and tongues from saying. It is interesting that such cursing and cussing language is universal in being understood as filthy talk around the world, in every language and tongue. So to say, it is just your opinion Rev. . . well you would be just wrong.

Well, believe it or not, I do not have more to say this morning. Working with our mouth and tongue is hard enough of a charge for each of us.

As you go about today consider carefully what you are saying, what is coming out of your mouth and the use of your tongue. Guard it, and save yourself from sure calamity, while also transforming the community in which you live (note what our speech is supposed to be like from the Ephesians passage and what its effect is on the persons we are around – ok, I know I said that I didn't have anything else to say, but couldn't pass on this observation – forgive me. LOL).

Got it?

Got Word?

Love yah,

dad

No comments:

Post a Comment