Saturday, March 31, 2012

March 31, 2012 (Today's Got Word?)  Happy Birthday!                                          


Good morning my son,

Good morning my daughter,

Its my birthday today, and so I was very expectant as to what the Lord would show to me when I met with him at 5AM. (“early in the morning will I rise up and seek thee”. . . you know the drill, look it up . . . it works!). I was not disappointed, He was there waiting, and He had a Word for me.

See this last year, as you know, has been very hard for me. And to be quite frank, just last night I was outside “considering the heavens from whence comes my help . . .” I cried. I wept. And then I left it there with Him and went to sleep. And now comes this morning!

Isaiah 65:8-10

This is what the Lord says:
“As when juice is still found in a cluster of grapes and men say, “Don't destroy it, there is yet some good in it, so will I do in behalf of my servants; I will not destroy them all.
I will bring forth descendants from Jacob, and from Judah those who will possess my mountains; my chosen people will inherit them, and there will my servants live.
Sharon will become a pasture for flocks, and the Valley of Achor a resting place for herds, for my people who seek me.

Do you see what verses leaped out at me? An odd combination if you know the places and the history behind them. But first you must have some understanding of what is going on here in this chapter of Isaiah. If you go back to the front of the chapter you will see that God has been frustrated with His people.

“I revealed myself to those who did not ask for me; I was found by those who did not seek me. To a nation that did not call on my name, I said, 'Here am I, here am I.'
All day long I have held out my hands to an obstinate people, who walk in ways not good, pursuing their own imaginations –
a people who continually provoke me to my very face, . . .” (Isaiah 65:1-3)

Ouch! God does not seem very happy with His own. In fact they seem to be not just ignoring God, but purposefully doing stuff that they know will, shall we say “piss him off!” And what is God's planned response?

“See, it stands written before me: I will not keep silent, but will pay back in full; I will pay it back into their laps –
both your sins and the sins of your fathers, . . .
I will measure into their laps the full payment for their former deeds.” (Isaiah 65:6-7)

Can you join me, hands in the air, pushing up and down, as the shout goes . . . “Whoa! Whoa! The house is on fire!!!” Wow! This is NOT a good thing that His people have made God do. I say made because this is nothing more than the consequence to their evil actions and heart; to their rebellion against God's ways . . . you did see that right? It reads: “See, it stands written before me . . .” God could do no different. We may have the freedom to choose the action but we do not have the freedom to choose the consequence. And neither does God! (something we might want to remember when we are considering shucking and jiving around the dark corner, in the secret place, in the shadows, hiding out to do what we know we are not supposed to). He said He disciplines those he loves, so we shouldn't be surprised that he does so.

And then comes this passage about a remnant saved, today's pericope (remember that big word that just means the passage we are studying).

I must admit that I am SO happy He didn't show me the first part of that chapter and speak words there. I am happy that He instead included me in the remnant – one in which there is still some juice worth saving, one which should not be destroyed, as one of His servants. And yet in the midst of my doing my own dance of joy, I found myself a little confused as to the words that leaped off the pages.

Sharon will become a pasture for flocks, and the Valley of Achor a resting place for herds, for my people who seek me.”

Hmm. The place of Sharon I understood from previous readings. It referred to a very fertile stretch of land that historically was a land of pasture for sheep. It had wells and water running through it. It would be just the type of place I would want to take my sheep and rest. But the Valley of Achor . . . now I faintly remembered that something just wasn't right with that place.

I would like for you to have a good study bible and a good bible dictionary to start with. I think I have told you that before. However, I must admit that with today's internet, you may just need to know how to google. As for myself, I am still a little old school and went to a couple of bible dictionaries. Oh, and less you wonder why I would take that time to look it up . . . quite simply I wasn't sure where and what it was. Any time you do not know a place, especially if it is in the words that the Lord has leap off the page to you, you should take the time to look them up. If you do so you might find a deeper meaning to the passage that you would otherwise have missed. Such is the case here.

See the Valley of Achor is otherwise known as the valley of trouble. On your own time go back and read Joshua chapter 7. Don't worry its not too long. It tells the story of Achan and his sin, and the history of this valley and how it came to get its name. See Israelites had conquered Jericho, and had burned the whole city and everything in it, except they put the silver and gold and articles of bronze and iron into the treasury of the Lord house and spared Rahab the prostitute. [Joshua 6:24 – just a side note – did you realize that Rahab a prostitute was in the lineage of Jesus?- I wonder what God can do with me then? You? Just a thought). At least they THOUGHT that they had burned everything. After they get their butts kicked in going out to battle in chapter 7, they seek the Lord to find out why and God tells them that they had sin, evil in the camp:

“The Lord said to Joshua, “Stand up! What are you doing down on your face? Israel has sinned; they have violated my covenant, which I command them to keep. They have taken some of the devoted things; they have stolen, they have lied, they have put them with their own possessions. That is why the Israelites cannot stand against their enemies . . I will not be with you anymore unless you destroy whatever among you is devoted to destruction” (Joshua 7:10-12

Okay, I am pointing out those words because I will come back to them, so don't forget them. Thanks.

This was nothing new. God had told them before not to touch or keep theses “devoted things” and by that he meant the things and ornaments used in the worship of other God's; shall we say for our modern day purposes – those things, beliefs, etc. we hold on to which are against God's word and direction in our lives. These were to hold no place in the Israelites or our hearts. Oh, and by the way, neither are we. We are supposed to burn them too! (See Deuteronomy 7:1-6)
So what happens God shows them that it is Achan that screwed up, that kept the devoted things they thought had been burned in Jericho (Joshua 7:20-21). And what do they do with Achan?

Then Joshua, together with all Israel, took Achan son of Zerah, the silver, the robe, the gold wedge, his sons and daughters, his cattle, donkeys and sheep, his tent and all that he had to the Valley of Achor.
Joshua said, “Why have you brought this trouble on us? The Lord will bring trouble on you today.”
Then all Israel stoned him, and after they had stoned the rest, they burned them.
Over Achan they heaped up a large pile of rocks, which remains to this day. Then the Lord turned from his fierce anger. Therefore the place has been called the Valley of Achor ever since.

The Valley of Achor translates to the Valley of Trouble.

So going back to our passage for today . . . “ and the Valley of Achor a resting place for herds, for my people who seek me.”

The Valley of Trouble a resting place? Really God? Yes really my son, my daughter. God is going to make the place where you and I have been troubled by our sin, where we have been brought to judgment, where we have confessed and repented, where we have brought the “devoted things” to him and all that it touched and defiled burning them before him . . . this place . . . this place of cleansing and sacrifice to the Lord . . . this place where we were troubled . . . this place He will make a place for blessing, a place where we will be fed and find rest!!

The blessing that the Lord gave me today is the very same blessing that He offers each of us. A fertile land for our sheep, our provision and a land in which we have been troubled made fertile and at peace by our own decision to follow Him and obey Him; to destroy, burn and forsake those things and decisions in our lives that are against His order and direction in our lives. All of it . . . not just some.

Now if you want me to elaborate on what those things are I can't. But God can. Ask Him and then you just keep reading the Word, writing down what leaps off the pages to you. He will reveal them to you and show you just how to destroy and burn them up. He will transform your Valley of Achor, your Valley of Trouble into a place of blessing and rest.

Oh, I almost forgot, remember the words “I will not be with you anymore unless you destroy whatever among you is devoted to destruction” Don't miss it. God wishes to work for you and to transform that valley of trouble for you. But you, just like me, must remove WHATEVER is devoted to your own destruction. Well, come to think about it, perhaps I have already said this. . .

My bad.

Got Word?

Love yah,

dad

No comments:

Post a Comment