Thursday, May 22, 2014


An  answer to me when faced with “that sin which so easily trips me up” . . . the courageous heart . . .

3 The Lord was with Jehoshaphat, because he walked in the earlier ways of his father David. He did not seek the Baals, 4 but sought the God of his father and walked in his commandments, and not according to the practices of Israel. 5 Therefore the Lord established the kingdom in his hand. And all Judah brought tribute to Jehoshaphat, and he had great riches and honor. 6 His heart was courageous in the ways of the Lord. . . .
                2 Chronicles 17:3-6

Have you ever wanted to do something that you knew God didn’t approve of -- Something that you had no doubt is against His word and His will for your life?  Well I stand in that position right now.  I know that it is against His word . . . no doubt about it.  Yet even knowing that it is against His word, and would undoubtedly bring a level of destruction to my life – remember the payment for sin, going against God’s word is death – I feel  a strong tug to doing it.  Okay, more than a tug.  I feel like I am being dragged along by my own desire.  In all truthfulness I want to do it. I feel like I almost need to do it.  Others do it so, why can’t I?  He will forgive me, right? So what’s the big deal!  Let’s go and . . . .

I guess God is a chump.  He let’s all of us get away with SO much stuff.  All we have to do is come back to Him, confess and He forgives.  He turns our whole life around.  He makes all things new. We have a fail-safe life where we can do pretty much anything we want as long as we punch that forgiveness ticket. 
And yes God will forgive us. . . . no joke.  Not being sarcastic here.  God will forgive us when we confess and repent.  He washes us white as snow.  He pays the price . . . the death.  So how does God keep from being the all time biggest chump?

Consequences
There are both bad consequences and good consequences to our actions.  Here we see the good.  Let’s examine Jehoshaphat to see how he got such good consequences.  From reading we see he did not seek other gods (Baals) and he did not follow the evil practices of those around him, in particular his own brothers and family (remember Judah and Israel were brothers).  Okay so I do not do bad stuff. And how many of us worship Baals in today’s time anyway?  I guess that not doing all those things will grant me favor with God.  The good consequences, right?  NO.

It was not just what Jehoshaphat didn’t do that brought him  good consequences it was what he DID do.  Jehoshaphat: 1) Sought the God of his father;  2) Walked in the commandments of the Lord;  and 3) “His heart was courageous in the ways of the Lord.”   Let’s pause here.  It is this last phrase that leaped off the page for me.  “His heart was courageous in the ways of the Lord.”  See I have been seeking the Lord.  I have walked in his commandments (being tempted to do something is not a sin, not the same as doing it . . . I am dealing with the temptation at this point, not the completed act). However all said, It was that last phrase that hit me hard.  Why?
Do you know what I was doing when I read this passage?  I was seeking the Lord to walk in His commandments. . . . well sort of.  At the time I read this passage I was asking God for some special dispensation or permission to do this particular sin.  I was telling him this is just too hard to fight.  I was telling him, you made me so you knew I would be like this.  You know how frustrated I am with waiting to see your hand come around and take care of this need and desire for me.  You gave me this flesh, this desire built in so it really sucks that you do not seem to be doing anything about meeting it.  So why can I not just take care of it myself? 

If you are wondering if you really understood what I was saying I was doing when I read this passage you did.  In short I was asking God to grant me permission to do the hell I wanted to do.  See I know one thing for sure . . . if He says its okay to do, He can not punish me for doing it!  Yes it is a little twisted.  I guess that is why God was a little coy in the answer:
“His heart was courageous in the ways of the Lord.”

Let’s pull out the key words/phrases: 
His – translated mine.

Heart – translated very core of my being; everything which I am in reality; the exact internal place of my unique existence; what I love the most; the source of all my beliefs and understandings.
Courageous – translated brave; not deterred by danger or pain.

“Ways of the Lord” – translated as not just what He says to do, and not just the doing it, but the doing it in the way and spirit that He would do it.
SO  . . . . applying these words in the verse to my question:

The  very core of my being – everything  which I am in reality; the exact internal place of my unique existence; what I love the most; the source of all my beliefs and understandings – must be brave; not deterred by danger – danger real or imagined or pain real or imagined, created by me or others – in not just doing the word, but doing it in the way and spirit that God would do what He would do.
In short I must take up the courage, the willingness to go through the pain to do from my core what God says should be done, how He says it should be done, in the spirit He says it should be done.

Speaking to myself (feel free to insert your name where mine appears):  Peterson you do not have permission to do the deed, but I do encourage you to have the courage to live out the best that I designed you to be.  And if you lack motivation, just look a little back in the verse at the consequences for being, in your heart, courageous in the ways of the Lord:
The Lord will be with you . . . The Lord will establish your kingdom in your hand . . . And those under your charge will bring you tribute (gifts of gratitude, respect or admiration) . . . and you will have great riches and honor.  (all from verse 5).

Hmmmm . . .   Looking around me, I seem to be a little lacking in many of these consequences.   I think in my heart I will be courageous in the ways of the Lord.  So brothers and sisters I won’t be giving in to that temptation!
Thanks Lord, I understand.

Got Word?

Love yah

No comments:

Post a Comment