Friday, November 9, 2012

Where is the God of Elijah!

                                                                                      -->

Where is the God of Elijah!

There are two prophets of which I am completely enamored with: Elijah and Elisha.

Look at one of the last acts of Elijah before he took a ride on a train, first class up into heaven:

Then the king sent a captain to him with his company of fifty. He went up and found the prophet sitting on a hill-top and said to him, 'Man of God, the king orders you to come down.” Elijah answered the captain, “If I am a man of God, may fire fall from heaven and consume you and your company!” Fire fell from heaven and consume the officer and his fifty men. 2Kings 1:9-10

Go read the story, this happens another time before the third man sent has learned his lesson . . .

The king sent the captain of a third company with his fifty men, and this third captain went up the hill to Elijah and knelt down before him and pleaded with him: “Man of God, consider me and these fify servants of yours, and set some value on our lives. Fire fell from heaven and consumed the other two Captains of fifty and their companies, but let my life have some value in your eyes.” 2 Kings 1:13-14

WOW! I would have liked to have seen that! Fire falling down from heaven to show that Elijah was indeed a man of God! A captain of the kings army bowing before an old man on a hill, acknowledging that the captain and his men were not the servant of the king but would be the servant of the God of kings and HIS prophet!

And then look at the first act of Elisha after Elijah is taken up into heaven:

Then he (Elisha) picked up the cloak which had fallen from Elijah, and came back and stood on the bank of the Jordan. There he too struck the water with Elijah's cloak and said, “Where is the Lord the God of Elijah?” When he struck the water, it was again divided to the right and left, and he crossed over. 2 Kings 2:13-15

WOW! Where was the Lord the God of Elijah? Right there with Elisha!

WOW! Oh if God would acknowledge that I was HIS man like that.

Without sweating: “Boss man, If I be a man of God let fire come from heaven and consume you.”
And WHOOSH! My problem is gone! And every one in the office listens to me!

“Fool for cutting me off on the freeway, If I be a man of God let the wheels of your car come off and it catch fire and burn your butt” For shorting me on my fries, . . . for not remembering my birthday, . . . for looking at me wrong . . . well, why stop there?! For THINKING wrong about me . . .

WHOOSH!

And what about having the Lord the God of Elijah working for me like he did for Elisha.

I ruined my credit, but where is the God of Elisha, when I blow on this application it will be approved with below market interest! I want a new car, where is the God of Elisha, you know Lord I need a fine ride . . . So that BMW is mine! Given to me!

Where is this God of Elijah? Am I not HIS man? Does He not care for me as much as He did Elisha?
They walked back then Lord . . . but now we ride! You understand, right . . . da . . .da . . .daddy?

For me though I have not ever seen fire fall from heaven and consume any of my enemies. Heck, I haven't even seen them get a hang nail directly because of me. Instead they seem to prosper pretty well. And as for that ride . . . well I am still sporting my 1998 Volvo with 273,000,000,000,000 miles (ok, a little exageration 272,800 miles)! A wonder why?

Funny thing about each of those instances with Elijah and Elisha it was about the power and authority of God not man. God could have ignored Elijah. But he chose not to. Why? Because the ultimate lesson learned by the soldiers, their king was not king. Their god was not God. It was not about Elijah it was about God.

And Elisha crossing over. Look back and see who was watching. All the prophets of God. The witness was for them, not Elisha. God was there.

And yes, God was with Elisha too.

Where God has needed to show up to show himself to be himself to others and myself, He has. When I have wanted him to do so for my own selfish reasons, he has not. It is not about me manipulating God for my behalf, it is about God manipulating the circumstances when needed for HIS glory!

God said we would have twins after a miscarriage where our doctors said we could have no kids. Fraternal twins are only hereditary the doctor told us, and it comes on the wife's side. Unfortunately there were none on my wife's side. Impossible. One heart beat until 2 months before delivery of David and Daniella. Then 2 heart beats. A man who had not gone to church in years returns. Not because of what Murphy said, but because of what God said and did. It was not about me, it was and always is about Him.

Where is the God of Elijah? Right here. He hasn't left and is always present to act in your life to make your life fuller in the midst of leading others to Himself.

Got it? Got Word?

Love yah,





No comments:

Post a Comment